AreYouHealthy is offering Androstenedione(A4) test at just Rs.619. Once you book the test, it will be carried forward by Thyrocare experts. The home collection team from Thyrocare will come to your place to collect the sample. If you want more information on the Androstenedione test, feel free to call us on +917289876363.
What is an Androstenedione test?
Androstenedione is an androgen which is usually considered to be a “male” sex hormone. This hormone handles the onset of sexual differentiation in males and females. It helps males in the development of physical characteristics such as deep voice and facial hair. But it is present in the blood of both men and women and is a precursor that can be remodelled by the body into more strong androgens. This test checks the amount of androstenedione in the blood. The testicles produce androstenedione in men, the ovaries in women and by the adrenal glands in both.
When the Androstenedione (A4) test is ordered?
Androstenedione may be ordered along with some other hormone tests. It may also be ordered to a female infant who has external sex organs that are not distinctly male or female. This test may also be ordered when young boys show signs of precocious puberty. Androstenedione may also be ordered when puberty is delayed.
Why get tested?
- This test can be helpful in many terms, like:
- To track treatment for CAH
- To check the cause of male physical characteristics (virilisation) in females or early puberty in boys;
- To check androgen production and function of ovaries in women or testicular function in men;
- When congenital adrenal hyperplasia(CAH) is suspected;
- To help assess adrenal gland function;
- To detect adrenal tumours or cancers
What are the test preparations for the androstenedione test?
No special preparation is needed for Androstenedione. Inform your doctor if you’re onto any medications. In menstruating women, there may be specialised preparation on the timing of the blood sample collection.
What does the Androstenedione test result mean?
A normal androstenedione level may mean that the adrenal gland is functioning normally. Yet, an androstenedione level may be normal or elevated when an adrenal tumour or cancer is present, depending upon the hormones it is secreting. An increased level of androstenedione indicates increased adrenal, ovarian or testicular production. The normal testosterone level in men is 679 ng/dl.
Androstenedione Test Description
- FASTING TYPE: NON FASTING
- NORMAL RANGE: Adult Males : 0.60 – 3.10 ng/ml Adult Females : 0.30 – 3.30 ng/ml