Price @ 400/- Only | Non Fasting | Sample Type: Serum
About PRL Blood Test
AreYouHealthy is offering Prolactin Test at low rate. This test is also known as PRL Test. A team of sample collector will come to your place and collect the blood sample. Once you book the Prolactin test, it will be carried forward by Thyrocare experts. You can also get in touch with us 24*7 by calling 7289-87-6363.
What Is The Prolactin Test?
A prolactin test measures how much prolactin a person has in his or her blood. This hormone is produced in a pituitary gland in the brain. The other famous name of prolactin hormone is PRL or lactogenic hormone. Prolactin hormone is useful for both male and female reproductive health. However, the exact function of prolactin in the male is not well-known. But the levels of prolactin have been used to measure sexual satisfaction in both male and female.
Why Is The Prolactin Test Done?
- For Men: Men may need a prolactin test in case there are symptoms of prolactinoma. These may include:- Abnormal lack of body and facial hair, Unexplained headaches and Reduced sex drive.
- For Women: Prolactinoma is a noncancerous tumour that produces high levels of prolactin. Women with symptoms of prolactinoma may need this test. Symptoms may include:- Abnormal acne, Visual impairment and Pain or discomfort during sex.
Signs And Symptoms Of Prolactinoma
What are the symptoms of too much prolactin? Symptoms of high prolactin level may include discharge of milk from breast and breast tenderness. These symptoms are more common in women. Symptoms like vision problems and unexplained headaches are common in both males and females.
How The Prolactin Test Is Done?
Does the prolactin test require fasting? You don’t need any preparation for this test. It is similar to a blood test. It just takes a few minutes. An executive from Thyrocare will come to your place and will collect the blood sample. After the collection process, the blood sample will be sent to certified Thyrocare lab.
What Does The Prolactin Test Result Mean?
The normal range of prolactin in the blood are:-
- Males – 2 to 18 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)
- Non-pregnant females – 2 to 29 ng/mL
- Pregnant females – 10 to 209 ng/mL
If the level of prolactin is below the normal range, it could be a sign of hypopituitarism. And this means that the pituitary gland is not working properly. A lower level of prolactin generally does not need medical treatment.
What Happens When Prolactin Levels Are High?
If the level is high, it could mean that the patient has a prolactinoma. This tumour can be treated with medicines and it is not cancer. In some case, the doctor may also suggest getting an MRI test.
Serum Prolactin Test Short Description
- UNITS: ng/ml
- TECHNOLOGY: C.L.I.A
- FASTING TYPE: NON FASTING
- SAMPLE TYPE: SERUM
- VOLUME: 1ml